Coconut oil is the new fountain of youth.
While I’ve been putting coconut oil in my coffee every morning for a few years, I’ve been doing some reading up on it and have found some incredible benefits of consuming coconut oil on a daily basis. Naturally, I thought I’d share. Because who couldn’t use tips on foods and superfoods that make a difference in the way we feel?
So let’s dive in.
First and foremost, coconut oil is known to be one of the healthiest fats available to us. If you know me and my endorsement of Bulletproof coffee, you know I’m a big fan of healthy fats. Foods like avocado, olive oil, grass-fed butter, and coconut oil make great additions to the American diet because, while we tend to veer away from eating fat thanks to modern marketing, the opposite is actually true: fat is good for us. Consuming a diet high in healthy fats is known to help in balancing natural hormones, help mental focus, and give us a satiated, full feeling. It is VERY hard to overdose on eating fats for this very reason: they make you feel full.
That said, let’s take an even closer look at coconut oil. It is scientifically known for:
- helping to prevent heart disease
- aid in weight loss
- strengthening immunity
- improving digestion
- supporting the organs
- controlling blood sugar
- contains lauric acid, which is known to lower cholesterol
Amongst other things. Yeah. It’s a VERY powerful food.
How can you incorporate it into your daily diet? Here are my favorite ways.
Top Ways to Consume Coconut Oil
- Add 1 Tbsp. to your morning coffee. You likely won’t even taste it, but the medium chain triglycerides IN the oil will get your body functioning more optimally from the get-go, first thing in the morning.
- Pop your popcorn in it. Once you do this, you’ll never be OK with movie theatre popcorn again.
- Throw it in your Shakeology. Doesn’t change the flavor but gives you even more superfood bang in one delicious dose of dense nutrition.
- Stir fry veggies in it for dinner. Many people have gotten used to using olive oil, but for an added health boost, try coconut oil instead.
- Fry your bacon (or turkey bacon) in it for added sweet flavor. Double the fat, double the flavor, double the yum!
What about best places to buy coconut oil? As with everything, quality matters. My personal favorite is the MCT oil (already in liquid form) through onnit.com. They even have different flavor choices if you’d like to change up the flavor of your oil. Nutiva and Spectrum brands (available at your local whole food grocer) are great choices as well, but will come in solid form. Trader Joe’s has a great option as well!
Whether this is new to you or an old trick, try incorporating this into your daily regimen. Over time, you may feel a change in how you feel! The average American is steering clear of healthy fats due to the stigma that’s been placed on them when instead, we should be consuming them on a daily basis so as to keep our bodies (and our blood) balanced. Cheers to that!
Gym Owner/Personal Trainer
Jenny is a 6-Star Diamond Elite Team Beachbody Coach, Certified Personal Trainer, and Fitness Nutrition Specialist. She and her husband own RevolutionX Studio, LLC, a fitness facility in Fishers, Indiana.
Leave a Reply