1. Celery eases digestion: Many say that celery tastes like “crunchy water,” and that this is the reason why it is so beneficial for your digestive system. The high amount of water in the celery, combined with the insoluble fiber in it, makes it an amazing tool for easy passage of stool. Note: because celery has cleansing and diuretic properties, people suffering from diarrhea should avoid eating it.
2. If you are watching your weight celery is a great choice. One large stalk of celery contains only 10 calories! So, next time you go to the grocery store add celery to your shopping list and enjoy it in your stir – fries, soups and salads.
3. It lowers blood pressure: Phthalides are an active compound contained in celery which has proven to boost circulatory health. Raw, whole celery reduces high blood pressure.
4. It helps you calm down: Celery for stress – relief? Oh yes! The essential oil in celery, and the minerals, especially magnesium, soothe the nervous system. If you enjoy a celery – based snack in the evening, you will sleep like a baby.
5. Celery reduces “bad” cholesterol: There is a component contained in celery called butylphthalide, which gives the vegetable its scent and flavor. Guess what: this component also reduces bad cholesterol! A Chicago University conducted a research that showed that just two stalks of celery a day can reduce bad cholesterol (LDL) by up to 7 points!
6. It contains “good” salts. Yes, it does contain sodium, but it is far from table salt. The salt in celery is natural, organic and essential for your health.
7. Celery can combat cancer: Two studies at the University of Illinois shown that luteolin – a powerful flavonoid found in celery, inhibits the growth of cancer cells, especially in the pancreas. Another study suggests that by regular intake of celery you could significantly delay and in some cases stop completely the formation of breast cancer cells.
8. It cares for your eyes. Up to 10 percent of your daily dose of vitamin A can be found in one large stalk of celery, a group of nutrients that prevent age – related degeneration of vision and protects the eyes.
9. It regulates the body’s alkaline balance, thus protecting you from problems like acidity.
10. This is not just hearsay: it can amplify your sex life. Dr. Alan R. Hirsch, Director of the Smeel and Taste Treatment and Research Foundation, says 2 pheromones in celery – androstenol and androstenone – boost your arousal levels. Whenever you chew on a celery stalk they are boosted.
11. Celery reduces inflammation. If you are suffering from asthma, acne, joint pains or lung infections, eating more celery will bring the much – needed relief.
Always go for the upright stalks of celery that snap when bent. The leaves should be crisp and fresh. When selecting celery, remember this rule of thumb: The stronger the flavor, the darker the color.
Freshly chopped celery keeps the nutrients for a longer time much better than if you chop and store it even for a few hours. Steamed celery not only retains its flavor, but also most of its nutrients – to be precise 99 percent of them!
Leave a Reply